Sunday 15 June 2014

9 to 5

Source not known

Whilst watching the football last night with the other half (not really watching if I'm honest, just mirroring any grunts or sighs he did whilst updating cover photos!) I had a revelation. Well, not really a revelation, because I've had this overwhelming feeling every day for the past few weeks. A feeling of relief. Fear. Nervousness. Excitement. Restlessness.

 I am one of those people who continually worries and obsesses over what I'm going to do with my life. How I am going to get the money for rent, food, the car, petrol. I sometimes forget about the important things; having shelter, food, my lovely boyfriend, and I just stress over the fact that I could end up in a job that I absolutely despise. And I could start to become that person who only looked forward to the weekend. 
I have had many jobs in retail in my post-school, living-away-from-home years. Ones that I would have to drag my sorry butt out of bed for. Ones that I would cry in the toilets on my lunch break because I was being subjected to horrible things, yet still wasn't making the money I needed to pay rent.
I recently lost my favourite job yet, being a graphic designer for a teaching resources company, and although I had hard days, I loved being the head designer and living in photoshop six hours a day. I won't dwell on my redundancy, it wasn't my fault and I can't change it (I'm even thinking it was a blessing in disguise), but there is one thing, I ain't going back to retail! I'm not going to be wasting five days a week.

This is where that feeling of relief, fear, excitement comes in. I absolutely love my current job. Creating these paper goods, running this little business. I probably can't even call it my job because I'm making zero at the moment but it's what I fill my days (and nights) with. I've never had so much enthusiasm or motivation for one project.  And when I get this feeling, I realise that this is what I want to do. This is how I want to make money to live.
 But of course, I realise how hard it is going to be, how I'm probably going to have to get a part time something (which I don't mind!), how people aren't going to be so happy that only my other half is actively earning money (he, the measure of the man himself, is 100% supportive of me, and he's dealing with my sheets of paper lying everywhere brilliantly!), but I am so ready for the challenge. I'm going to work hard to ensure this is my full time job.

Doing something I love has always been a priority for me, and I think I've finally found it. 

Anyone else out there hoping to do the same? Leaving the day job behind? Leave me a comment with your story and we can support one another! I'd love to hear what you think.

P.S: I realised after posting this that it's our month birthday today! Have a treat on me and use ONEMONTH to get 10% off your order on Etsy.




No comments:

Post a Comment