Tuesday 12 August 2014

keep going


After this morning's incredibly sad news about the great Robin Williams passing after suspected suicide, there has been an influx of articles, blog posts, status' about the subject of depression and seeking help. 
This is obviously a good thing, to raise awareness and to encourage sufferers to tell someone, anyone, that you're not feeling too good. It's weird, on any other day, I would be writing something along those lines. Most of the time, I can't shut up about it if the subject is raised. But today, I've decided not to. Because I'm feeling okay today, and I don't want to trigger any feelings. If I'm honest, I can't even read the heartbreaking posts that are popping up.

I will say this though. I've been ill for pretty much half my life. I've sought help, and most of the time it's done the opposite of that. I didn't finish sixth form, or college. I've had people tell me it's all in my head, yada yada yada. But, I do continue to live each day. I'm immensely proud of myself on the days I do get out of bed, and I just let it do it's thing if I don't. I also have tremendous support.

If you feel in a bad way, you can let it do it's thing too. It's okay to admit defeat sometimes, to call in sick at work and have a day or two (maybe even a few months) to recuperate and get back to being you. But if it ever goes too far, if that feeling of not wanting to be here anymore creeps up on you, please tell someone. It might not feel like it, but there are a lot of people around you who would be so, so devastated if you weren't here anymore, just like how Mr Williams' family and friends must be feeling right now. Just like how my family would've been if I went through with it. 

Tell your Mum or Da. Tell a friend, tell anyone. Even give these organisations a ring, they're brilliant:


That's all, cheers x


No comments:

Post a Comment